Sunday, December 9, 2012

"The real meaning of Christmas" December 3, 2012


Choluteca East Zone

 
Hey just a reminder, only 7 more Fast Sundays! The time is going by faster and faster. After xmas, the time will just fly. I'm excited but also extremely nervous. It hit me the other day how much I will miss the mission. Just being able to walk around, ride in buses and talking to everyone about the restored gospel. Just being able to teach also, thats one of my favorite parts. The people here in the South are a really humble people and are more outgoing and kind than other parts of Honduras.

Well, this week we had ZL consejo... Now I am absolutely dreading the ZL consejo's now. From Choluteca, we have to take a bus the day before so that we can get there on time. Its a really nice bus, but the bus isn't the problem, The driver is. We just sped the whole way up to Tegus in 2 and a half hours on windy roads in a blazing hot bus. We were only 30 out and I felt like I was going to have to stick my head out the window the whole drive. I had to eat something. Luckily, we stopped and I bought a 7up as I tried to get my head under control from the nausea. I cant remember ever being so sick before. We finally made to Tegucigalpa and I don't know why but I was starving. Its like all of the snacks I had eaten had disappeared. So we went and we ate a ton of good food that night and went to Consejo at president's house and ate more good food. Before I knew it, it was time to get back on that cursed bus. It was worse on the way back to Choluteca because it was night. This time I literally did spend the 3 hours with my head poked out the window. I thought it was funny because the bus guys started walking down the isle handing out barf bags to everyone. But I am glad to say that I got it together and I did not have to use a single bag on the way there or back!!!

Yesterday the ward wanted to go out and do visits with us and split us up so that we could get to know all of the families that are inactive. We thought it was a good idea. So we began to wait for everyone at 5 (as planned) then 5:30 came around. We started to call the first councilor asking him if they were still going to do it. We where told yes and that they should be there at anytime, that they were on their way. We were a little anxious also because we were wanting to be able to go to the Christmas devotional at 7. By the time everyone got there and we left it was cutting it pretty close. I was worried if we were going to make it, but as soon as we sat down in the house of the inactive family, all of the anxiety to see the devotional left me. I began to see the bigger picture and I got to know the parents and I wanted to help them. One of their sons served a mission and is active in the ward. The dad was a funny out going guy. We sat there and talked and the members we were with started the message they had prepared (which was the key point). Of course we began to talk about the Sabbath day and the importance of it. I began to explain the most basic one in the 10 commandments. I began to explain that the Keeping of the Sabbath day was one of the most detailed commandments of the 10. We started asking him questions and he began to see his composure change and he began to take everything we taught seriously and he said, "I don't know why, but I have a really strong desire to go to church next week." We explained that it was through the power of the Spirit that he felt this way (Galatians 5:22-23) After the lesson he thanked us for the visit and we went on our way. I began to talk to my companion and we both felt the same way, that it didn't matter if we missed the devotional, there was someone in greater need of our time. I learned yesterday that sometimes we, as humans, will always have the desire to do the things that we want. The most important thing that we can do is give our own time to help others in need. This is also the real meaning of the Christmas season also. We need to remember the reason for all of the parties and presents. The first counselor invited us over to his house afterwards to catch the end of the devotional and to eat dinner with him and his family. It turned out to be a better night than I expected.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment