Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Hay CAMBIOS" June 4, 2012


 One of our futbol games on PDay



Well, this week started off good. The sisters had a baptism on Tuesday. Hermana Pieksma was finishing her mission and her parents actually came down to visit for a couple weeks, so they were there for the baptism. I am so grateful for the gift I have been given to speak and understand Spanish.

So on the night of changes, we were sitting there thinking if there was actually going to be any for us. I received a call from my good pal Elder Casey. He told me;" Elder Harding, how you doing. So have you heard anything about changes? Oh, well, big guy you have changes. How much time do you have in the mission? Oohhh... okay so 10 months ago we can say was the last time that you had a cell phone...?" My heart sunk. There were only certain missionaries who have cell phones in the mission. That only meant that I was a new ZONE LEADER! Oh man, I was freaking out the whole night. Elder Casey congratulated me and said I will be just fine and that I'm going to one of his old areas. I couldn't believe it! So I had to pack up and I finally went to bed at 1:30 and woke up early to catch a bus to Tegucigalpa. I am now the new Zone Leader of the Zone "Valle Verde". Its out east and in the mountainous jungle valley. It should be a good time. I am looking forward to remaining constantly busy. I now live on the top floor of a hotel in my area "La Villa San Francisco" and have a nice house. The church building is huge and we have support from the branch here too. My kid, Elder Garcia was devastated that I was leaving. We got along so well and ended up teaching amazingly with each other and had a lot of investigators. He's left with some work to do!

Saturday night, we received a call from the office saying that we have been invited to a special dinner with President Hernandez in the Mission Home on Sunday. Those who had more than 5 baptisms were invited and had a nice home cooked steak dinner. We went and ended up seeing almost everyone from my old Zone, including Elder Garcia. He told me that everyone was crying when they found out that I left. Nobody was expecting it. Members, investigators, everyone. It made me a little sad that I never had the chance to actually say goodbye to everyone. But we enjoyed our night and we all slept over in the Mission Home on air mattresses.

In the month of May we had 209 baptisms and set the mission record for President Hernandez. We were also the mission with the highest baptism rate in ALL of Central America. We also had 27 families baptized.

No comments:

Post a Comment